Hedging Desk Trader
DEPARTMENT/TEAM: Hedging and Risk Management
The Hedging Desk Trader has several responsibilities including market analysis, business development, trade strategy, and trade execution. The Hedging Desk Trader is required to create new business opportunities, quote and monitor contracts (fixed and floating), and manage the price risk of several trading books within their region by working closely with the Supply and Sales teams.
- Manage all the price risk in all operations of its area.
- Setup and monitor the daily trading strategy for all bunker contract as well as spot enquiries.
- Hedge individual books using papers instruments made available to them and their DOA’s.
- Manage all basis and premium risks in coordination with the supply teams.
- Minimize all market risks at a regional level via external trades.
- Set up and monitor quoting procedures (validity, volume tolerances, overnight, cancellations, etc).
- Promote and quote term contracts to customers.
- Liaise with Physical Manager to optimize trading strategy considering operational efficiencies.
- Liaise with Cargo traders to develop integrated strategies.
- Perform technical market analysis for the Hedging Desk team to support the business strategy.
Have a strong understanding of the structured products Peninsula offers and how to market them.
- Managing and update internal online pricing platform.
- Promote the Derivatives business where possible and act as a liaison with Risk Management Sales to help with the onboarding process.
- Market making in derivatives flow.
- Train the sales/supply teams in the area with the basics of risk management.
- Participate and monitor in the Platts physical and paper MOC.
- Keep abreast of all relevant shipping and oil sector developments through regular reading of relevant trade publications, newspapers etc.
- Adhere to all procedures/processes & policies with regards to usage of Company information systems, including CRM, trading platform, etc.
- Continually look to improve trading processes within the team and region.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Business level English.
- Confident individual with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Persuasive and influential by nature, a highly effective negotiator able to ‘think on their feet’.
- High level of ownership and accountability.
- Ability to swiftly express key information to facilitate line manager / Regional Head decision making.
- High level of commercial acumen, able to think analytically and strategically and understand the wider business context.
- Able to work collaboratively as part of a team and towards shared goals but equally able to work independently with a minimal level of supervision.
- Ambitious, self-motivated, and demonstrating a willingness to continually develop own knowledge and skills.
- High level of computer literacy including proficiency of MS Office package and able to work with CRM systems.
- Risk management skills, understanding price risk, basis risk, and other risks and how to manage.
- Knowledge of the physical oil markets, particularly bunker fuel grades.